I always recommend a dynamic warm up pre-exercise, in order to ensure muscles are well warmed up and prepared for your activity ahead.
Dynamic stretching should:
- Increase the heart rate, respiration and body temperature
- Improve range of movement and lubricate joints
- Increase capillary activation – delivery more oxygen to your muscles
- Increase elasticity in your tendons and ligaments
- Enhance performance – A study published in 2015 in the Journal of Strength & Conditioning showed that well trained runners performed better after a dynamic warm up.
Keep tuned for some dynamic stretching examples.